Friday, July 30, 2010

GBGC Top 40 Countdown: T-28: The Rainbow Connection

"Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
And look what it's done so far.
 What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing
And what do we think we might see?"

Those of you who know me well, know that knowing words to songs is not one of my strong points (ironic, being that I am indeed a so-called professional opera singer, I know). You know? Little did I know how poignant the lyrics to "Rainbow Connection" were. The video you are seeing must have been the 5th or 6th take, because I got choked up each time. Who knew that frogs could be so deep?

At the time of recording, I had just returned from a performance, so remnants of eyeliner are still caked in my eyelashes, and my hair is worse for wear after having removed my enormous red wig. I came home to find that one of my elementary school friends had a birthday today. Then I went on a trip down memory lane, remembering that he was my first square dance partner (that counted as a sport back then). I remembered ordering the Muppet Movie Soundtrack from one of those record clubs - six albums for a penny! When you're a kid, you don't read the fine print, so when they sent me the bill for the rest, I just ignored it and eventually, they ignored me. For a laugh, here are the six albums I ordered: the Muppet Movie Soundtrack, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Chuck Mangione, Pointer Sisters, B-52s Wild Planet and ... well, I don't remember the last one, although there's a good chance it was Captain and Tenille.

Counting down the days to my 40th birthday (there, I've said it), many memories fade or rearrange themselves. For instance, I always thought it was Gonzo who sang "Rainbow Connection" when indeed it was Kermit the Frog. With a banjo. Go figure.

So, I donned my only article of green clothing and recorded this song - it's 2 in the morning, I've just sung a full-length opera,  and I'm no closer to knowing why there are so many songs about rainbows, much less what's on the other side.


4 comments:

  1. Christine, da weiß ich ja, was ich jetzt jeden tag schaun muß , Suchtgefahr ; -)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, this would've been a good number for your bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. christine! du bist noch süßer als kermit! dein uwe kohls

    ReplyDelete